This lesson was about “Contextualising Digital Culture 1: Histories”. We started with a few key terms about Modernism:
1.Industrialisation: A period which involved things such as, mass production, the building of more cities, emergence of different types of jobs/ work due to it, of the 3 original sector classifications industrialisation was the expansion mainly of the second sector which was manufacturing and processing. much of the processes of industrialisation was power by the new technology of coal power rather than pre industrialisation which was the likes of wood burning or water power etc. This mass production method is still clearly in existence with relevance to my area of study of games GTA V sold $1billion worth of games in the first 3weeks of launch.
the black and white image is the first skyscraper project performed in Germany due to industrialisation. (Mies van der Rohe, Friedrichstrasse Skyscraper Project, Berlin, Germany, 1919- 1921.)
2. Social Changes: The changes of industrialisation affected social aspects as urbanism increased which is the development of the modern city and its population, the rise of leisure and the alternations in leisure activities such as gaming itself or computer use especially when you bring up the fact that 45% of the gaming industry is now female (http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp) and the planet spends 3billion hours a week playing games so that’s a huge social change from the days before video games and the impact gaming has had on the world. The second black and white picture is of Burlington arcade, the worlds first shopping arcade in 1819. The world first video game SpaceWar by Steve Russell is a prime example of modernism and its beginnings as then we had SpaceWar! now we have the likes of Killzone: Shadow Fall the most visually amazing game I have ever come across.
3. New technologies and scientific advances: The introduction of new innovative technologies such as, photography, computers, filming, transport, electricity, travel and speed, scientific theories, art materials, communication and printing. Probably the most iconic technological breakthrough had to be Thomas Edison in 1879 with the invention of the light bulb and electricity due to it, here is a good quote about the light bulb:
‘The light bulb had to a happen due to wider changes in society.’ – Vincent Miller
- CATS Logbook – Session 4 – Digital Culture/Modernism (sanctuarygames.wordpress.com)
- CATS – Log Book – Entry #4 (25/10/13) (philmaclennan.wordpress.com)
- Traditional light bulbs are dead, long live LEDs (thegreenlightingreport.wordpress.com)
- The Historic Underdevelopment of the Economy (politics.ie)
- Industrial revolution (slideshare.net)
- Integrity of Industrial Automation (b2bmarketplaces.wordpress.com)
- Cats Week 4: Introduction to Modernism (abbiella.wordpress.com)
- ‘GS Paper 1(World History) : The Changing World Economy Since 1900′ (currentaffirsnews.wordpress.com)