Graphic Design for PHASEgaming logo process/progress
My current design process in the making of my logo is on its second stage, stage 1 was a quick sketch I did when I first started my course just to have something to build upon for a logo. It had all the right things I wanted but not the detail and precision I required for it to be an accomplished logo, so I took to my new two-tone drawing paper (recycled paper, good as can use white to show light with crayon or gel pen) to start up the design again. The mini brief I set myself for this logo the second time around was:
- Bulk (increase the size of the dragon), stage 1 was too thin and it looked weak which is not the idea I want to portray it should be powerful.
- Scale (proportions and realism), stage 1 the wings were thin and not structured very well, the tail was a total flop on my behalf and the head didn’t show enough expression.
- Sharp (points and edges), in some cases the sharpness of some features of the dragon wasnt as bold as I wanted e.g. the teeth need to be sharp to show fear and danger, also horns and spikes.
- Scales (the belly part of the dragon), stage 1 had the basic idea of scales for the belly but i wanted to develop on this to show detail.
- Shading (light source placement), stage 1 had rough shading with no particular light source to define 3D or even indicate a light source, this time id have to pick a spot and stick to it as best I could.
- Head/Eyes, stage one had a proportional head to the body but this looked too thin and weak so I needed to bulk it out to add strength, The eyes on stage 1 blended in with the rest they just didn’t stand out so I needed to somehow create a way to draw you to the eye.
- Lightning and Text, keep similar to stage one as the calligraphy and the style of the lightning I liked how it did a chain reaction on to other letters with the odd spark.
By following these steps I would be able to hopefully improve on stage 1 to create the image I want for my logo. As you can see above the difference is huge, the features I wanted to incorporate have been drastically improved in terms of what they was (still room for improvement there always is) before.
- The feature im most impressed about is the head, I feel I have really improved the facial structure of the dragon by adding a more prominent jaw bone and general scale of the face; also the horns on the face are ideal for me as they don’t distract you from the eyes which are the main feature to draw you in.
- The shading I focused in the top left but slightly in front of the dragon, this allowed me to use small shadows under the wings to make it stand out, also it added a certain edge to the lightning and text as it transitioned well in terms of colour to the other features.
- Spikes, claws, teeth and horns, using my finer liner (uni pin both 0.3 for very fine lines and then 0.8 for bolder thickness) it added that sharpness to each which suggest a man could be impaled with them easily.
- The eye was proportional to the jaw bone using my own perspective and I tried to make it stand out using a bolder fine liner (I called it the mascara effect) and it sort of worked but I think if I added colour it would be much improved.
- The Wings, really well designed I think the proportions of it on scale to the dragon work really well. But the feature I like the most is how I did the arm (if that’s the term) or muscles of the wing to try show how it works. Obviously with added scale on the spikes from stage 1.
- The Tail, I couldn’t get it right the swooping effect of it and thickness of the tail just wasnt happening first or second time. The scale and proportion of the tail to the rest of the dragon wasnt right in my opinion, also i struggled with the tip or the tail (spikes or claw) so I just tucked it behind the wing to avoid the problem.
- The wings, the wings themselves are really well made and proportional to the dragon but they lack detail on them im not quite sure what but it can be researched to see what can be added.
- The scales, struggled with the shading I did give it an effort and to be fair it didn’t look to bad but it went from one shade tone to the other on too much of a large transition so the white stood out too much.
Now I will progress upon that in both sketches and features of the dragon. Possibly I might design separate pieces of the dragon in different designs to see which looks the best/ works better for the dragon, this could add to the design process substantially. Also I will try go into Photoshop as I learn a little bit about it in a lesson, which will give me a digital more logo version of the graphic.